I’m not sure what took me so long to finally make one of my favorite preparations of broccoli, but just this afternoon, I asked my mom how she makes her casserole and hours later, we were enjoying it for dinner. Had I known how easy it really is to make, I probably would have been serving this side dish for years. The simplicity of its ingredients and preparation make it a no brainer and the added bonus is that it is low in fat, while still nutritious. This recipe works well with cauliflower too!
Print Recipe Here
- 1 head/bunch of broccoli
- 16 oz light sour cream
- 1- 2 cups bread crumbs
- Garlic powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Steam broccoli well, about 15 minutes should do it (you want it to be a more
- dingy shade of green and somewhat limp).
- In a casserole dish, spoon in a layer of broccoli (about half of bunch), then
- sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Lightly cover broccoli with bread crumbs and then scoop on sour cream and spread
- Repeat a second layer with remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle on bread crumbs on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Finish off with 3-5 minutes of broil to brown the top.
Makes 4 servings
Broccoli Casserole is pictured with Grilled Shrimp and Rice Pilaf.