“Curry.” This is a word I used to avoid at all costs, but as I’ve allowed my taste buds to develop, I have learned to appreciate curry slowly, but surely. There are several different kinds (some of which I am still trying to acquire a taste for), and for now, my own kitchen has only seen the addition of your basic curry powder. That’s the key ingredient in this Chicken Curry Quinoa dish. I based my recipe off one I found online (I’d love to give credit to the original creator but umpteen websites have the same recipe listsed). Being that I’ve only made it once, I was more than pleased with the initial results, however, next time I might take it up a notch and use coconut milk instead of regular milk!
This is a great healthy recipe perfect for during the week when you want something light and simple- it doesn’t get much easier than throwing all the ingredients into the crock pot!
Prep Time: 20 minutes & Cook Time: 5 1/2 Hours
- 2 Uncooked Chicken Breasts, diced
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 8 oz Mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 1 Green Apple, chopped
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ Cup Fat Free Milk
- 1 ½ Tbs Curry Powder (a blend of Turmeric, Coriander, Cumin, Fenugreek, Black Pepper, Ginger, Mustard, Fennel, Allspice, and Red Pepper)
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ Cup Quinoa
- Place all ingredients, except quinoa, in crock pot and stir.
- Cook on low for 5 hours (if chicken is frozen, allow for another hour).
- Stir in quinoa and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked (translucent).
Optional: Serve with Chapati (Indian Flat Bread)
Makes 3-4 Servings