I love a good egg salad sandwich, but rarely ever eat one because the nutritional facts scare me a bit (high in fat, calories, & cholesterol) and the smell of making hard boiled eggs stinks (literally). I wasn’t able to find an “odorless” solution to creating this dish (other than a three wick candle burning in the kitchen), but I did come up with a lighter version that slashed the high fat and calorie count down drastically- there’s not even a drop of mayo! This Egg Salad isn’t going to taste exactly like your favorite deli’s recipe, but considering that it omits just about all of the fat and a ton of the calories and cholesterol, I think you’ll find it to be pretty good substitute.
Tip: How to make Hard Boiled Eggs- Place eggs in a large pot of boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain and let them cool before removing the shell. The easiest way to remove the shell is to roll the egg on the counter and then gently apply pressure so that you can pull shell comes off in two halves.
- 9 Hard Boiled eggs – shells removed
- 1 Celery Stalk
- ¼ Onion
- 2 Tbs Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbs Fat Free Sour Cream (if you really want Mayo, you can substitute it in for the sour cream)
- 1 Tbs Spicy or Dijon Mustard
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- Place 3 hard boiled eggs in large bowl. Remove the yolks from the remaining 6 eggs and add only the egg whites to the bowl (discard yolks).
- Mash/Chop Eggs (I use a fork and knife and a combination of a mashing and slicing motion).
- Cut celery and onion into finely pieces and add to eggs.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, including a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Best enjoyed on toast/bagel with sliced tomato and lettuce.
Makes enough for approximately 6 sandwiches