After all of last week’s Crock Pot craze, I was inspired to try out the Chocolate Lava Cake recipe, but wanted to make a reduced fat/calorie version. I switched out the eggs, oil, and whole milk for with lighter stuff and the results were great! The consistency of this dessert is delicate, with a combination of moist cake and warm, oozing pudding. It is rich in chocolate flavor so a scoop of low fat vanilla ice cream tones down each bite and adds a coolness your mouth is sure to enjoy.
- 1 package devils food cake mix
- 3/4 Cup Egg Substitute (instead of 3 eggs)
- 1/2 Cup Apple Sauce (instead of 1/3 Cup oil)
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 box Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding Mix
- 2 Cups Fat Free Milk
- 1 bag (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line crock pot with a plastic liner (if you don’t have one, spray sides of pot with cooking spray).
- Prepare cake mix into batter using egg substitute, apple sauce, and water. Pour into crock pot.
- Prepare Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix using fat free milk. Pour over cake mix in crock pot.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips all over the top of the batter.
- Cook in crock-pot on high setting for about 2 1/2 hours until cake is done, but not burnt.
Serve warm with low fat vanilla ice cream.