This recipe is a newer crock pot creation, however in the past couple of months, I have made it on a number of occasions, primarily when serving many mouths (8+), hence why I call it the Party Paella. It is so good that it’s worth making for a regular sized dinner and enjoying the leftovers for a couple of days (the husband prefers it reheated).
Originally, I started this Paella out as a Vegetarian dish per a dinner request, but it has evolved into a meaty meal with the addition of turkey sausage. Both versions are great and share similar flavors resulting in pure satisfaction. My Spainard ancestory almost guilts me a little for calling this recipe “Paella” since there are no creatures from the sea debuted, but its savory taste makes it deserving of the Paella title.
This recipe makes a ton- about 8 main course or 12 side servings.
Prep time = 10 minutes, Cooking time is at least 3 1/2 hours.
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 1 Green or Red Pepper, chopped
- 1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Can Artichoke Hearts (or a 9 oz frozen package)
- 1 can Kidney Beans
- 1 can White beans
- 28 oz. can diced Tomatoes
- 3 Cups Broth/Stock
- 4 Bay Leaves (optional)
- 1 16 oz package Saffron Yellow Rice
- 1 14 oz package of Turkey Kielbasa Sausage
- 1 Cup canned Peas drained
- Add all of Part 1 ingredients into crock pot and cook on LOW for 5 hours or HIGH for 2 hours.
- Slice Sausage into 1/2 thick pieces and add to pot along with rice and cook on HIGH for at least 90 additional minutes (rice needs to get soft and liquid absorbed).
- Stir in peas and serve.